Date: May 8, 2016
Text: Deuteronomy 10:12-21 & 30:6, 15-20
Sermon Audio (link)
The Creation of Adam, Michelangelo, Sistine Chapel, c. 1511-1512, public domain
below is the handout referenced in the sermon:
God As Law-Giver
Oh, how I love Your law!... sweeter than honey to my mouth. Psalm 119:97,103
Structure: 2nd Millennium BC ANE Suzerain/Vassal Covenant
(also Exod 20; Josh 24)
(also Exod 20; Josh 24)
1. Preamble, introducing the suzerain (1:1-5)
2. Historical prologue, previous relations of the parties (1:6-4:49)
3. Stipulations: basic, then detailed (5-26)
4. Curses and Blessings (27-30)
5. Witnesses to the covenant (31:28)
6. Document clause: where it will be stored, when it will be read (31-34)
Deuteronomy 10 & 30:
· What does God ask of you? Why?
· How can we keep God’s law? What will it do for us?
· What does the law tell us about who God is?
Why Did God Give Us The Law?
· To show the world how great God is: Deut 4:1-8; Psalm 19; 119; 2 Sam 7
· To show us we can’t keep the law: Deut 28-29; Rom 3:19-20; 5:12-21; 8:1-4; James 2:10-11; Gal 3-5; Psalm 119; Matt 5; Rom 9:30-32
· To lead us to Christ: Deut 30:6; Jer 31:31-34; Ezek 36:22-32; Gal 3-5; Matt 5
Jesus Summarizes the Law: Matthew 22
· Love God & Love Others: Deut 6; Exod 20; Matt 5; 22; Lev 19; Gal 5; Rom 13:8-10; Gal 5:14; Rom 9:30-32
· What does this tell us about God? What does it tell us about our relationship to God?
· Love fulfills the Law: Rom 8:3-4; 13:8-10; Gal 5:13-15; John 3:16; James 2
· Love is the Fruit of the Spirit: Gal 5:22-26; 1 Cor 13; Col 3:12-17
· Love is how we reflect God: 1 John 4:7-20; James 2:1-13; John 13:34-35
Me as Law-Follower:
· He is the Lord; I am the Vassal: Deut 10:12-22; Hosea 2; Eph 5:22-33
· I belong to God: Deut 4; 10; 1 Cor 6; 1 Pet 2:9; Titus 2:14; Col 1:21-22; Eph 5
· If I belong to God, I will obey His commands: John 14:15-21; Psalm 103:18; 1 John 2:3-5; 3:22-24; 2 John 6
· If I belong to God, I will love: 1 John 4:7-20; James 2:1-13; John 13:34-35; Gal 5:22-26; 1 Cor 13; Col 3:12-17
Daily Devotion Follow Up
Monday: Read Psalm 119:9-16 & 73-80
· How can people stay pure?
· What does it mean to hide God’s word in your heart? Have you done that? Do you do that?
· Why does the Psalmist say we should love and follow God’s law?
· Do you feel this way about God’s law? Why or why not?
· How can you learn to love God’s Word? Consider asking someone who does have a passion for the Word how/why they do.
Tuesday: Read Galatians 3:15-25
· Who is the ‘seed’ promised to Abraham?
· How are we saved?
· Then why was the law given? What is our relationship to the law now?
· What parts of God’s law do you have a hard time understanding? What parts do you have a hard time following? Why?
Wednesday: Read Deuteronomy 10:12-22
· What does God require of us? Why can He expect that of you?
· How can we keep His law and love Him?
· How does this passage describe God? Does any of this description surprise you? Why or why not?
· How would you describe God? His commands? His love?
Thursday: Read Romans 8:1-8
· Why is there no condemnation for those who are in Christ?
· Why was the law powerless? How did Christ fulfill it?
· What is the difference between living by the spirit and by the flesh?
· How can we live according to the flesh?
Friday: Read 1 John 4:7-20
· How did God show His love for us?
· Why should we love one another?
· How can we love one another and the world?
· Are there people in your life who are hard for you to love? How can you love them like God does?
Saturday: Read 1 Corinthians 13
· How important is love? What are our ‘deeds’ without it?
· Look over that list of character traits of love. Pray over that list. Which ones come naturally for you? Which ones are a struggle? How can you love ‘better’ in those areas?
· What does it mean you to that God is all of those things for you?
· How can you show love to a neighbor, friend, family member, co-worker, enemy, or stranger today?
The video referenced in the sermon is from The Bible Project.